"People who live long lives together eventually begin to sound alike, to talk alike, even to think alike. As we walk with God, we take on his thoughts, his principles, his attitudes. We take on his heart." Max Lucado

Songs I Love


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Monday, July 26, 2010

Goodness and Love and Getting Uncomfortable

*So the other night when I was writing my first post, I kind of had to end it abruptly as we needed to leave for the fire station since the NW part of our county had a tornado warning. I don't know how I would've liked to end it, but that definitely wasn't it. The way I would've maybe ended it is at the bottom of this post.*
After Thursday, I've just had such awe at the goodness of God. I read an acquaintance's blog the other day about just that topic, so I'm reflecting a bit on His goodness this Monday night as well. A few things happened yesterday that got me thinking that I am sure glad I have a relationship with Jesus and I can turn to my heavenly father whenever I need him and he will be RIGHT THERE!
First, at our church, our pastor was talking about patience. He used Abram's story (where God promised to make him the father of many nations and that he had to go out to a place that he didn't know) as an example and how fitting for us to hear when that was the same example Steve's former boss Bob gave when he talked to Bob about going into the Coast Guard. Ah...it makes my heart glad to have all these things (and by that I mean wise council, a Word from the Lord, and prayer) lining up with we want to do to serve! Finally, it seems it's been too long since I've heard God speak directly to me, but ever since joining Moorepark Community Church (and starting my days in the Word) he's been loud and clear!
Second, I learned of the passing of a friend from camp. Steve knew him better than I did, but I'm going to miss him and his kind smile. I happened upon his wife's facebook and there were so many comments about how much people loved him and were encouraged by his walk with the Lord and willingness to serve. The situation in how he died makes me angry and upset at stupid drivers, but seeing the numerous comments about him helps me know that he is with the good Lord, and God has a plan for his family that is left behind. In life and death God is good, and as much as death hurts (and life does too sometimes) I must remember that goodness and love, and the feeling of His arms wrapped around me.

To go back the comment of "these things lining up," I have another testimony to share with you all. When Steve and I first started discussing the idea of the Coast Guard, I was a bit apprehensive. It is the military after all! I didn't like the idea of moving every couple years and eventually having to take our kids out of school and winding up having to live on a base, but Steve told me that he could get a guaranteed district (a region/area of the U.S.) if he was towards the top of his class (which he plans to be because he is as high of an achiever as I have ever seen!). So I was comfortable with that because we both wanted to move south to North Carolina, and hey I'd be by the beach. Then things changed because the Coast Guard retains a lot of it's members each year (unlike most of the other military branches), and spots aren't readily available for new members. So they allowed the newbies to pick 3 different units in each of 4 districts for a total of 12 units. Great, even more to like about this CG thing, if he's high in his class he'll more than likely get his 1 or 2 choice! We proceed to look at different units in district 5 (NC, VA area) as well as some out on the west coast too. I even made a spread sheet of those 12 units to help me understand the areas a little better. God definitely didn't like us getting too comfortable, though. A few weeks later Steve comes to me and says honey I've got some good and not so good news. All right, what now I thought. He says he can only pick 4 different districts, and we both start wondering if this is really what we should be doing. Or if we could just stay in Michigan and Steve would work at the fire station and I would stay at KinderCare. It was around that same time that our pastor's son spoke about his family's plans to head to the Dominican Republic to do mission work for 2 years. He talked about having the faith to do what God wants them to do and to actually step out and do it. On the way home from church Steve mentioned that we were doing something similar to them. He said that what both of us like the most is being comfortable, but that's not what God wants for us. He wants us to put our FAITH in HIM and TRUST HIM! He even brought up the fact that I have a verse of faith tattooed on my ankle as one of my life's verses. And that is where we are at right now, like Abram stepping out in faith, not knowing where we are going, but willing to go and see what kind of promises lie in wait. Hopefully we both can have a little more patience than Abram did (he went about trying to make many nations the wrong way with Hagar), and so far so good.
"Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen...By faith Abraham, when called to go to a place he would later receive as his inheritance, obeyed and went, even though he did not know where he was going." Hebrews 11:1, 8

1 comment:

Carey said...

Ash! Welcome to the blog world! Before you know it, you'll be sucked in and finding other blogs that you read daily, just like what happened to me. I love the blog world...so many fun people to connect with and friends to be made. I'm your first follower! :)