I'm ashamed to admit this, but I've lost all desire to work-out. I have no idea what happened, but ever since I graduated from college and was forced to do any kind of athletic activity on my own, I chose to do pretty much nothing. Yeah, I occasionally worked out with Steve; we ran and roller-bladed, even signed up at AnyTime Fitness. I walked with my neighbor/friend too until she moved away, and did the occasional Pilates tape. But that's pretty much it. Nothing consistent. And for one who's been involved in sports since she can remember, it makes me sad. Really, honest-to-goodness want to break down in tears because I cannot for the life of me motivate myself to get to the gym. Or to put in the tape, or for heaven's sake hook Sherman's leash up and go for a walk. (Though I have gone on several walks with him and Steve the past few weeks, one of which was fairly strenuous because of the terrain).
The only thing I can think of that has me in this rut is: I'VE ACTUALLY LOST WEIGHT (though the stress of 2 months away from one's husband is not an ideal way to lose weight AT ALL!)?! How in the world is that even possible. Unless I have inherited an absurdly high metabolism much like my uncle's who is 6'3" and probably doesn't even come close to my 5'7" husband's weight. Which is the conclusion I've made. I think I was also so exhausted from dealing with 10-20 energetic kids for 8 hours a day that working out seemed like a chore and not something I enjoyed like I used to.
BUT I don't want to rely solely on metabolism to maintain my weight. I want to be active. Some day I want to have a baby (not anytime soon though!) and I need to be more active than I am at the moment.
Now that we've moved and are all settled in I want to start running, working out, biking, hiking, swimming, etc. I've been keeping track of the food I've been eating the past 2 days on AnyTime health. And it hasn't been pretty. Mainly because I haven't been doing any kind of exercise/activity (besides household chores). I've had my eyes opened majorly, and it's time for a change.
I fully believe that I need to keep my body healthy, not just for my own sake, but for the sake of future children as well as my husband and even friends. I want to be a good example. Not a bad one, but one that honors the Lord as well. Maybe the verse from 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 is a bit out of context in this particular instance (I am fully aware it is referring to sexual immorality), but my body is a temple. "Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body" I want to honor the Lord by keeping it healthy and fit.
The Proverbs 31 woman has also been on my mind. I read it a few weeks ago, I don't even remember where, but the qualities of the "wife of noble character" have been going over and over in my head. The Message version is an especially challenging version to read. I don't normally like The Message over the NIV or ESV. In this case though, I've found myself challenged to become like her mostly because the words are more to present day than any other version. I can relate, and I know what I need to change to be more like that woman.
So for the next week or so, I want to study this. Proverbs 31:10-31. (After all, this is a blog about our walk by faith right?) I hope to break it down, meditate, listen for the Lord, and then get some goals on paper. Both long and short-term. Goals for our marriage, our family, physical fitness, finances, career/education etc. The Lord has provided an eye-opener...I think it's due time for a change.



No comments:
Post a Comment