"People who live long lives together eventually begin to sound alike, to talk alike, even to think alike. As we walk with God, we take on his thoughts, his principles, his attitudes. We take on his heart." Max Lucado

Songs I Love


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Monday, June 13, 2011

A Conviction and Challenge

I have that nagging feeling.  The one that just doesn't seem to go away.  Conviction in it's finest form.  Where I know the right thing to do, and I want to do it, but I'm a little scared to take the first step.  I've heard the message loud and clear, but where do I start?  I don't think that's the crux of the matter though.  There are tons of organizations that need me and could use my help.  I just need to pick one.  Get started with an hour or two a week.
What am I talking about?  The message that I've heard is a call to volunteer, to care for the sick, poor, needy, children, widows.  To care for them as Jesus would.  To have compassion and reach out.  That is what He calls us to do, and I just can't get away from this message.
It started with a devotional I've been doing on compassion.  Several days worth of Biblical stories where others cared for those in need.   I take that back, it started with Crazy Love by Francis Chan which talks about living a life for Jesus.  That God loves us so much, that we need to loves others that way as well.  Chan talks about living your best life, a life obsessed with giving to and caring for others.  He goes on to give examples of others he knows who have gone into the mission field, either abroad or right in their own towns with their own friends.  I just finished the book, and am even more certain I need to make changes to live a "Crazy Love" kind of life as a Christian.  
Also, Pastor Shannon's message was about redemption yesterday, but he also talked about serving and giving and being a changed person in his point about "redemption as transformation."  Shannon used Ecclesiastes 1:1-11 and Proverbs 14:12 to show that some of the decisions we make don't lead to anything but death.  He then talked about doing things that have "kingdom value" and storing up for the kingdom rather than for use on earth because we know that we can't take it with us when we die. The two messages go hand in hand, and I want to do things that have "Kingdom value."  He asked us "What do you do that has eternal significance?"  I don't know that I do an awful lot, and therefore the conviction was even stronger to change that.
And then, just now I was reading a Heartlight article about helping others.  And Phil Ware gave a list of ideas to get started.  So I can't get away from the conviction.  But that's how the Holy Spirit works right?  He keeps right on sending the messages until you do something about it.
I don't want to live a "lukewarm" life.  I want to make a difference.  Yes, we've stepped out in faith in joining the Coast Guard, and completely relied on the Lord to provide, but what else?  That's only one little thing, and I feel at times we aren't even completely relying on Him anymore.  So I've come to the conclusion a few changes will be made as we live our lives here in Wisconsin.
First, I really miss serving.  Yes, I am serving my husband in taking care of our home and him, but there's a hole in my heart that needs to be filled with service toward others.  Steve and I talked yesterday as we waited for the drawbridge to go back down that we want to get more involved in community type organizations, helping out where it's needed.  He wants to help with Boy Scouts, I'd like to do Big Brothers/Big Sisters or some other type of mentoring program, and we both would like to volunteer together on at least one of his days off.  Whether it be with Habitat for Humanity, our local food pantry or some other organization we have yet to find.
Second, I feel a deep desire to start giving financially.  I've talked with Steve about this before, and I know it's such a touchy subject, but it's one that we as Christians are called to do.  Some of the examples in Chan's book showed people giving away everything they had for the sake of others' well-being.  We have friends leaving for the Dominican Republic tomorrow for a two-year mission term and I want to support them.  I don't know what that looks like exactly yet, but I know it's something Steve and I will be discussing in the near future.  
Yes, we're trying to put money into our savings.  Yes there are still school loans to pay off, but that all goes back to completely trusting God for everything we need.  Are we really trusting Him when we choose not to give?  Are we really living a "Crazy Love" kind of life when we choose to keep all for ourselves?  Or can we give and serve more willingly, storing up treasures in heaven and doing things that have "kingdom value"?


These are just a few thoughts I've had recently.  Challenges.  Convictions.  So I will challenge you: What are you doing today that has eternal significance?

No comments: