We've lived in WI now for a month and a half. I've never felt further from home than I do now. It's tough being away from family and close friends. Our apartment feels like home, but being out and about in the town...not so much. Surreal I think is the best way to describe it. I don't see familiar faces anymore. Even in Michigan I recognized a few of the Target checkout people whenever I went in. Here, they're all different. Each store seems to have a different person every time I go.
I've made friends here. I hang out with said friends too, and not just occasionally. I think I've actually done more things with other women my own age in the past 47 days than I have since we've been married. This is very strange for me. I'm an introvert, but as long as someone asks me to do things with them I'm all for it. Like garage sale-ing, beach going, walking, softball games. (Is this my shell breaking away?)
Driving home from work yesterday, I got this odd feeling looking out over the horizon while waiting on the drawbridge to go down. The boats, the bridge, the marinas...these things do not exist in my hometown. But they're here. They're all over, almost in our backyard even.
I asked Steve if he felt like this was our home yet when we went on a walk down to the marina last night. He said no. I'm glad we agree on that. Don't know when it will start to feel like home though...or if it ever will.
My in-laws are going camping this weekend with Steve's brother and his fiance. I feel a bit jealous...and sad we're not there to be able to join them. I hope they can get a chance to come up here sometime this summer to visit us in our new "home." I hope my parents can come up soon too...they've said the 4th...we'll see what happens.
Another thing I was thinking about that's so different here (which relates to a severe lack of family in the area) is not being able to go over to someone else's house for dinner. We can't just say "Hey let's go visit your grandma." We can't make plans with our friends to go out to eat or to a movie. I miss our families so much...yes both Steve's and mine.
The weather here...I don't even want to start. BIPOLAR it is...severely. Just last week we had a 30 degree temperature difference in 24 hours 85 down to 55 the next morning. Yesterday to today...55 w/rain to 70 w/sun. The weather is the worst part.
The mail lady...doesn't come until 3:00 or after. I'm used to mail by 12 or 1 at the very latest.
Cereal is super expensive...even at Walmart, which isn't even a Super Walmart (though they're adding on).
Now I'm just complaining, but these are the things I've thought of and discovered about our time here in WI so far. I sure hope things get a better. They're not horrible, they're not even bad. We have been blessed abundantly; I just never thought I'd miss family and friends as much as I do (and it could just be the day, Steve's on this weekend so that leaves me home alone with Sherman). Though I know I will look back in a year and see just how great this town is when I give it a chance.



No comments:
Post a Comment