Well, I got through my first week as a line therapist. It was only 3 days. But it would've been a short week anyway with Memorial day. It went ok. I'm pretty sure I'll like it once I figure out all the "lingo" and structure of the programs and such. It's just a lot to take in. Fortunately the longest shift will be 3ish hours. Though I will be starting with another child in a few weeks, so then I might have back to back shifts. That's ok, I still won't be working as much as I was in Michigan.
There's pros and cons to starting a new job.
Pro #1 we're getting another paycheck every 2 weeks.
Pro #2 I have something to keep me busy on the days Steve works
Pro #3 I have weekends off, and will probably only be working about 20 hrs/wk
Con #1 I don't get to sleep in anymore (it's crazy how getting up only an hour and 15 minutes earlier has left me exhausted in the afternoons)
Con #2 I'll have to work on the days Steve has off
Con #3 I might miss out on CG wives' get-togethers due to my schedule
Oh well, I'm looking forward to being around kids again. Even if they're on the Autism spectrum, I love working with kids. Plus, this might be a chance to see another career option for myself. I know I want to stay at home once we start having babies (NO NOT ANYTIME SOON!) and I would like to get my Master's degree, but those 2 things don't seem to go hand in hand right now. It'll take 2 years (fewer if I decide to go the online route in a completely different area then I originally intended after I graduated from IWU, but more on that in another post) to complete a program, then getting licenses/doing internships will take another year. By then Steve will hopefully be done with A-School and we'll have to move again. AND we'll be in our 5th year of marriage and that was our original "baby plan." So as soon as I get my degree then we could have a kid and I'd be wanting to stay at home, and in my mind getting the degree now might not be worth it in the long run.
Therefore, working my way up as a therapist might be a good way to go. It's experience I'll always have. I could easily go back to doing that after our kids enter school. Yeah I'd love to be in a school system at that time so we'd have the summers and other vacation time to spend together, and Steve would be the only one taking off work, but time will tell. I must not put the cart before the horse.
I like to plan, but this might be going way too far into the future. Though really, 2.5 years from now...it's been 2.5 since we got married and it seems like only yesterday we were walking down that aisle hand in hand. Time goes so quickly. Only God knows the plans he has for us, and what our future will hold.
For now though, I am back to work. And I am joyful to have a job. I am praising God for the provisions and blessings he's given us with both of our new jobs, and I know that whatever comes our way, He will always provide.



1 comment:
I know the feeling of thinking through and planning your future, but not being able to fully plan it out because of the uncertainty of the military. I have learned that I really can't plan and predict my future because everything has happened TOTALLY different than what I originally pictured. The military definitely doesn't allow planning...although the Coast Guard treats it's people a little better than the Navy. :) I've been enjoying your blog and am praying that everything goes well for you guys on this adventure in the military.
Post a Comment