"People who live long lives together eventually begin to sound alike, to talk alike, even to think alike. As we walk with God, we take on his thoughts, his principles, his attitudes. We take on his heart." Max Lucado

Songs I Love


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

30 Day HAC Update

I meant to link up on Sunday, but Steve was home this weekend and we try to spend as much time together as possible when he's home, so I just didn't get a post in.  So here's a bit belated one...

This challenge is proving to be a bit harder than I originally thought it would.  Not because I'm having a hard time keeping out the negativity, but because I can't seem to let others know about the positives, and I feel that sometimes my only means of communication (a text to my husband) isn't very sincere.  But I'm trying...I just have to be more disciplined about it.  I know he likes hearing the encouraging things I have to say, and that it's very important for men to feel respected, so I hope that my words have let him see how much I respect and love him.
  • Day 4 When we were in MI, I used to "dump" on my husband all the time.  I worked in a daycare/learning center and it was always hectic and busy and downright crazy some days.  I would get frustrated with him when he didn't get home at the same (or close to the same) time I did.  Especially if he was on a call and didn't let me know.  I don't want to say that it was the work environment because I know I should not have said/done some of the things I did, but now only working part-time things are much less hectic.  I am able to just listen to him when he gets home about stories from his last 48 hours.  I've praised him for all the hard work he's done in getting qualified quickly, and for being a good example to other guys at his station.  I also made him a 4th of July card today to let him know how proud I am of all the things he's accomplished in the last couple months.
  • Day 5 I didn't do so well at this today.  I don't really talk to Steve's mom that much, but I'm certain both sides of our families know how much we love and cherish each other.  I will remember this in the future though, to tell each set of parents something my husband has done specifically well the next time I talk to them.
  • Day 6 Today Steve was at the station again.  If he would have been home I would've had him get out his guitar and play some music.  Sometimes out of the blue he'll get the guitar out and play a worship song that's been stuck in his head, or one that he's wanted to play for awhile.  I love just sitting and listening to him, though I get the itch to play like he does, but I don't quite have it mastered yet.  In the end it's better that I just listen and we get to have our own little praise and worship time.  He actually has a lot of things he's very good at, and when other talk about how their husbands lack knowledge in certain areas, I can say that Steve is a pretty well rounded guy and knows a heck of a lot more about various things than I do.  Maybe these things are some of the positives I can talk about...I just don't want to sound like I'm bragging...
  • Day 7 Again he was at the station...and this topic was one I definitely wanted to skip over.  I hate talking about finances.  I know this is horrible, that we need to talk about them, and it is the fault of neither one nor the other of us...this is a topic we need to work on together.
  • Day 8 Another challenge that kind of got missed because I just assumed he knows how grateful I am to have a husband who knows and loves the Lord.  I realize that it is important to continue to thank him and the Lord for this blessing.  I think I might have to go back and do these challenges I've missed.
  • Day 9  Today we had a date night.  We drove up north to eat at the Gibralter Grill.  On the drive up I let Steve do all the talking and I intently listened to him.  He likes to explain how things work, and often I just let him talk without really listening, but today I listened to every word about how boat propellers work and what happens when one gets "spun."  It was an enjoyable ride, and I liked hearing all his stories and explanations.  I know he appreciates when he can teach me something new...that's definitely a gift he has!
  • Day 10 One of the things I appreciated most about Steve being gone for 8 weeks at boot camp was the letters.  He's always had a way with words, though writing not as much as speaking, and that is definitely one of the things that drew me to him.  Along with his encouragement and outgoing, fun loving personality.  The night things moved more towards boyfriend/girlfriend than just friends, he told me he wanted to pursue a relationship...and those were the exact words I wanted to hear.  I wanted to be pursued, I had given up trying to find the right guy to settle down with.  God definitely was working back then, and he still is now!
Don't know about the challenge?  Click the button to check it out!

No comments: