First...the 30 Day Husband Appreciation Challenge. I think the biggest change I've seen over the past week is my response to problems that arise. I used to snap a lot, and get frustrated easily when things didn't get done in a certain time. Lately though, I've been holding my tongue. Yes, I do get upset inside, but after I think about not saying anything negative, the emotions subside and I realize it wasn't that big of a deal after all. Case in point...just this evening my soon to be sister-in-law called to figure out some last minute details. Their wedding is August 6, and both my husband and I are in the wedding. She asked what time we'd be arriving since the rehearsal dinner depends on when we get there. I realized Steve hadn't booked any tickets or our hotel room yet. He had looked at flights a week or more ago, but never booked anything because he was waiting for his leave to get approved. So I texted him and asked about this, with a little frustration on my part. He responded that he's been busy with work (which he has been VERY busy getting qualifications done), so instead of harping on him, I kept the frustration to myself and said I understood he was busy and that I loved him. He then asked me to call him at work, and lo and behold he had called the airlines 3 different times and gotten a pretty good deal on tickets. HE CAME THROUGH! YAY! And that is why I love this challenge. It has given me a new perspective. One that I knew I needed to have, but didn't always say/do the right things in an encouraging and positive way. I think my husband has seen a change too because he commented the other day about how happy I was, and that he likes coming home to a happy wife. All it took was a shift in attitude for me, and I am grateful that I stumbled across this challenge...but I think Someone else was guiding my steps as well.
Second...church today was fantastic. To think that I even considered heading to the lake with some friends and skipping church blows my mind after experiencing the worship I did this morning. The worship team at our church is always different, so you never know who's going to be there on any given Sunday until you get there. Today I am so glad I decided to wait to go to the beach til after church. The group was one that has only been at our church once before, but I loved them and was excited to see them there again today. They have drums and electric and bass guitars, so it's kind of a rocky feel and they play some of the faster paced worship songs. They played 2 of their own songs, and then 3 of my favorites and 1 I've never heard before, but it was really good. Mighty to Save, Glory to God, The Stand, and Forever Reign. AMAZING! The words in all of the those songs just spoke to my heart...I was on the verge of tears multiple times and had to just stop and listen and pray. Here are just a few lines...
"Take my life and let it be all for You and for Your glory, take my life and let it be Yours" from Glory to God
"So I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned in awe of the One who gave it all. So I'll stand my soul Lord to You surrendered, all I am is Yours" from The Stand
"So take me as you find me, all my fears and failures, fill my life again. I give my life to follow everything i believe in, now I surrender" from Mighty to Save
But it didn't end with worship. Our pastor started a new sermon series on the book of Ephesians...one of my favorites. He's doing an expository type series, where we'll be digging in to the book a few verses at a time, taking as long as he wants to teach us and going where the Holy Spirit leads. I'm kind of excited about this. I've never been a part of a church quite like the one we've discovered here. And I'm really starting to enjoy everything about it. It's different, but different doesn't mean bad. In this case, different is exactly what I need right now.
Third...I am so grateful for the people that God has placed in our lives here in Wisconsin. Yes, I miss our families and friends in Michigan and Ohio, but we are blessed to have crossed paths with the Coast Guard families here. I also feel a weight on my shoulders, seeing that I'm not sure of their faith backgrounds. I've never been an outspoken person, I'm fairly shy when meeting new people, but I think I've found why God has us here in Wisconsin. To spread His light and word to those who don't know...which that's what He always wants us to do. Right now, I hope they see the example of Christ in me as I've spent a lot of time with them over the last 2 months. I also think they're helping me come out of my shell as well, seeing that I have actually gone out and done various things with these new friends. I am glad to call them my friends, and I excited to see how these new friendships develop over the next couple years.
I'm sure I could write more, but I'll save those thoughts for another day.



No comments:
Post a Comment